Bookbinder, Printmaker, Teacher – based in Asheville, NCJohanna Smick received her BFA in printmaking from Washington University in St. Louis, with a focus in letterpress and book arts from the Nancy Kranzberg illustrated book studio.
Upon graduating Johanna worked to enrich programs in the book arts with schools such as The Waring School in Beverly, MA, and the Taktse International School in Gangtok, Sikkim. Her love for art history and restoration also led her to work with a local monastery in Gangtok to create an inventory of objects from their temple and estate.
In 2008 Johanna enrolled in the Bookbinding and Restoration program at the North Bennet Street School in Boston. Through internships at Quercus Press and the Boston Public Library’s rare books lab, Johanna continued to fine tune her skills in letterpress printing and book restoration.
In 2010 she moved to Asheville, NC where she first opened Monkfish Bindery. There she works with clients on custom projects ranging from restoration to edition binding. As well as editoning her own prints and books. Today she works from her home with husband Seth of Weizwood Furniture.
- 2008-10 – Certificate in Hand Bookbinding, North Bennet Street School, Boston, MA
- 2000-05 – Bachelor of Fine Arts in Printmaking, Washington University in St Louis, St. Louis, MO
- 2014 – Instructor, Late Coptic Binding, Private class, Asheville, NC
- 2014 – Studio Assistant, Penland School of Crafts, Penland, NC
- 2014 – Instructor, Ledger binding, Private Class, Asheville, NC
- 2012 – Instructor, Gothic Binding, Asheville Bookworks, Asheville, NC
- 2012 – Instructor, Leather Treatments, Asheville Bookworks, Asheville, NC
- 2012 – Instructor, Italian Longstitch with Magnetic Flap, Asheville Bookworks, Asheville, NC
- 2012 – Instructor, Longstitch on Leather, Asheville Bookworks, Asheville, NC
- 2012 – Instructor, Hybrid Bindings, Asheville Bookworks, Asheville, NC
- 2011 – Studio Assistant, Penland School of Crafts, Penland, NC
- 2009 – Teaching Assistant, Late Coptic Binding with Shanna Leino, NBSS, Boston, MA
- 2014 – Book Hands, She-Bear Gallery, Portland, ME
- 2012 – From Hand to Hand, HandMade in America, Asheville, NC
- 2010 – NBSS senior show, Boston, MA
- 2010 – Craft Boston, Boston, MA
- 2009 – NBSS school show, Boston, MA
- 2008 – They Tick Like Clocks, Never Say Never Ink, Beverly, MA
- 2005 – BFA exhibition, Mildred lane Kemper Art Museum, St. Louis, MO
- 2005 – Artillery exhibition, Subterranean Books, St. Louis, MO
- 2005 – Under Pressure, Des Lee Galleries, St. Louis, MO
- 2004 – Printmaking Department exhibition, Des Lee Galleries, St. Louis, MO
Awards & Scholarships
- 2015 – RBS Fath Scholarship
- 2009 – NBSS Bookbinding Scholarship
- 2005 – Nancy Spiritas Book Award
- 2005 – Margot Trump Award
- 2000-05 – Washington University School Scholarship
- 2011 – A Patient Trade, Susan Olasky, World Magazine